Helping LSE to Deliver Continuous Updates to Student Course Resources via Virtualised Applications
With more than 10,000 students enrolled at London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), the task of providing the applications they need would be complicated and time consuming. By using Application Virtualization (App-V) the university could change physical applications into virtual services, enabling simpler management that LSE staff could complete before each new term for incoming new students.
Staff at LSE would often build their course material around specific software, so the university couldn’t deliver upgrades to applications throughout the teaching year. However, students often requested upgrades whenever new versions of software were released.
Louise de Villiers, Academic Support Manager at London School of Economics and Political Science, says: “To meet the changing technology needs of our academic community, we wanted to be a bit more flexible in the way we delivered applications, including multiple versions of the same applications delivered to computers.”
Moving to Virtualised Applications
LSE decided that application virtualisation would help solve its deployment problems and ORIIUM were brought in to help provide initial application sequencing as well as delivering knowledge transfer that would enable staff at LSE to manage the application process for updating and re-deployment.
Reducing Crashes and Saving Time
Through its engagement with ORIIUM, LSE were able to successfully deploy and operate a new virtualised application environment built on Microsoft’s App-V solution, enabling flexible application upgrades and modifications to be actioned at any time. Previous issues with modifications causing system crashes and the need to create and manage multiple desktop gold images were dramatically reduced due to App-V’s ability to serve applications independently to the desktop and in isolation to other applications, enabling a significant time and management saving for the university.
About the Customer
London School of Economics is unique in its concentration on teaching and research across the full range of social, political and economic sciences. One of the foremost social science universities in the world, with more than 10,000 students and a history of producing Nobel Prize winners
• Application updates during term time often caused system crashes
• Desktop image management was complicated and time consuming
• Unable to action staff & student requests until following term
• Simplify the desktop and application management process
• Enable updates and modifications to be delivered during term-time
• Deliver necessary knowledge and training to enable LSE to manage and support solution post project
• Application Consultancy
• Knowledge Transfer
• Removed need for multiple desktop images
• Streamlined management and support of desktops
• Applications are now available immediately
• Enabled LSE to meet the needs of academic staff and student all year round
Download the case study HERE.